Todd's Super-Delicious Low-Carb Egg Salad*
- 8 large eggs (or 11 med.), hard-boiled & peeled
- ½ – ⅔ c. mayonnaise
- 2 bunches green onion, finely chopped
- ½ bunch of celery, finely chopped
- 1 lg. jalapeño pepper, de-seeded, finely chopped
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- ½ yellow or orange pepper, deseeded, finely chopped
- 5–7 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp. dried tarragon
- ½ jar Zatarain's Olive Salad (Or, if you can't get that…)
- 1 – 1½ tbsp. white vinegar
- ½ tsp. salt (Note: if using olive salad, omit the vinegar and salt)
- 1 – 1½ tsp. white pepper
- 2 tsp. paprika
- Smash each peeled egg with a potato masher once. Continue to mash the eggs until in medium–small pieces
- Add all the stuff and toss like a salad.
- Chill for a couple hours.
- Send me a royalty check.
Of course if you're a pussy you can ixnay the jalapeño. And if you're a total pussy you can forgo the raw garlic, but you're off my Xmas card list if you do.
I'm on Atkins at the moment, and this is fully compliant, assuming you don't put it on bread. It's delicious enough to eat with a fork out of a bowl though.
While it's sad to have egg salad not on toasted rye (or whatever bread you prefer to make a sandwich), it's sadder not to have any egg salad at all.
*NOTE: This recipe works well for chicken salad also! Simply swap out the eggs for 3 chicken breasts, cooked and chopped into small cubes.