- London Luton Airport is nowhere near London. More like Manchester. Don't use it.
- EasyJet is anything but Easy. Don't use it.
- Despite a two page email detailing exactly how to get from Schiphol Airport to our destination, Dutch trains are incredibly difficult to navigate.
- Picked up by cousin Eric's incredible girlfriend Nicole, and taken to her family's gorgeous country estate, past meandering canals and stoic windmills.
- Actual 100% relaxation for the first time since leaving New Orleans. Reading books in the garden. Petting the horses and dogs. Yah, I touched a dog. Willingly.
- The friendliness and hospitality of Nicole & Family leaves me speechless, and quite, quite smitten.
- Dutch seems a difficult language, until you say things out slowly and phoenetically, and which point it sorta resembles pidgin english.
- Staying up till 4am in the kitchen with Nicole's family, drinking weird cordials and feeling the bustle of previous cities wash away.
- Sleep in actual bed.
- Train to Amsterdam with Nicole and brother Phil.
- Emerge at Waterlooplein.
- Also stayed in London near a Waterloo.
- ABBA stuck in my head.
- "Vatterlowplane." The cooing of Pidgin.
- Pulling wobbly luggage over cobbles on the way to our Hotel Amstlezicht, nearly crying for the beautyof the Amstel River and the Canals.
- Till now, staying with friends, both for the social opportunities and the cashmoney aspect. Hotel of €140/night seems reckless yet fantastic.
- Wander the streets with Nicole & Phil. Lunch at a sandwichy shop. First good food since New Orleans.
- (Love Britain. Hate the food.)
- Beers and chatter in a dingy pub. Playing fruit machines. Losing.
- A nap.
- A tour of the Red Light Dist.
- More sex shops that you can shake something phallic at.
- Whores in little glass booths along the street. Look like pretty goldfish in bras.
- Though eyecandylicious, a little too Bourbon Street for me.
- Ferret out a gaybar, demurely named "Cockring."
- Dance floor in basement. Porn bar on first floor. Treehouse jack-shacks in the attic.
- Ordering absinthe in a bar. Having it prepared properly.
- On the way home, buying chocolate-dipped waffles and sourdough hot dogs. Everything so delicious. So, so delicious.
- We'll just have to see now, won't we.